Foreign Object in Your Food? Here’s What to Do
Posted on Tuesday, July 18th, 2017 at 5:49 pm
With millions of unique food products on the market today, not to mention millions of restaurant workers preparing our meals, it’s not uncommon for mistakes to be made or defects to be encountered. Much of the time, these food-related mistakes aren’t serious enough to injure us or make us sick, however, sometimes they are. Nobody expects to encounter foreign objects in their food, but when it happens, it can have disastrous consequences. Depending on the size, shape, and material of this foreign object, you may suffer injuries such as:
- Broken teeth
- Cuts or scrapes to tongue and/or gums
- Jaw injury
- Lacerations of the mouth or throat
- Physical illness caused by ingestion of object
- Perforation or other injury to stomach or intestines
While non-food objects generally don’t make their way into edible items, those that do are of a wide array of materials and sources. Here is a list of just some of the foreign objects that have been found in food products:
- Bones or other body parts (typically animal origin)
If you find something in your food that doesn’t belong there, and/or you have suffered injury because of, it’s important that you do the following:
- Document it – Whenever possible, take pictures, video, notes, or other hard evidence of the item in the food, and of your injuries (if visible). Gather witnesses that saw you eat the food in question, and preferably also saw your subsequent injury. In cases like these, it is your job to assert the claim that the food was contaminated, and that you suffered harm because of it.
- Seek care – Having valid and thorough medical and dental records on file is critical to winning a “foreign object in food” case. As soon as possible after injury, go to your doctor, dentist, or nearest hospital. Again, proof of harm often falls on you, and legitimate medical records to show to a judge are solid pieces of evidence.
- Call a lawyer – In the world of personal injury, it doesn’t do you any good to attempt a resolution on your own. Thankfully there are experts that can help you, so reach out to a qualified personal injury attorney in Atlanta, and give them the circumstances of your case. A good lawyer will be able to assess your case and get you the compensation that you deserve.
Ready to get justice for your injuries due to a foreign object in your food? Get in touch with us at the law office of Jonathan R. Brockman, P.C. and request your free consultation!