When you are injured through no fault of your own, you may feel trauma and confusion as you work to recover from that injury, whether it was from a slip and fall, an auto accident, an incident at work, or another circumstance. The devastating effects of your injury may last for months, years, or even a lifetime, depending on the severity.
Suffering a personal injury is never easy. You’re likely facing a never-ending stream of medical bills, and you may also be feeling the strain of not earning a paycheck, if you can’t work due to your injuries. The experienced Carrollton, GA, attorneys at Jonathan R. Brockman, P.C. are passionate about helping those who have been injured due to the carelessness or recklessness of others, and we’ll dedicate ourselves to your case.
Our attorneys have decades of experience successfully navigating the most complex of personal injury cases. You can rest assured that our award-winning personal injury lawyers will use everything in their arsenal to fight for your case and work toward getting you the compensation you deserve. Contact our attorneys today at 855 465 4407 to get started on your first, free consultation so we can discuss your case.
At Jonathan R. Brockman, P.C., our personal injury lawyers have taken on just about every type of personal injury claim imaginable. No matter the circumstances of your case, we’ll leverage the full scope of our team’s knowledge and resources and work efficiently to recover the compensation you need to move forward in your life.
The types of personal injury cases we most often handle in Carrollton, GA include, but are not limited to:
- Dog bites: If a dog attacks you unprovoked, then that dog’s owner is generally responsible for what happened to you as a result of the bite. In some rare cases, dog attacks can even be fatal.
- Car accidents: If you are the victim of a car crash, you may find yourself facing life-changing injuries, and, on top of that, you’re likely saddled with expensive medical bills. The attorneys at Jonathan R. Brockman, P.C. can help you secure the compensation you need to recover and start life anew.
- Truck accidents: When your vehicle collides with an 80,000-pound truck, the resulting injuries and damages can be catastrophic. Truck accident cases may involve multiple liable parties and are extremely complex. The truck accident attorneys at Jonathan R. Brockman, P.C. have the resources to thoroughly investigate the accident and build a solid case on your behalf.
- Motorcycle accidents: Motorcyclists are some of the most vulnerable drivers on the road. They don’t have airbags or seatbelts to protect them, and they can easily suffer road rash, head injuries, spinal injuries, and even fatal injuries when another driver causes a crash. In addition, many motorcycle victims face unfair bias from insurance companies and jurors, who often view them as reckless. Our attorneys will uphold your rights and fight for you to receive full compensation.
- Wrongful death: When a loved one dies, and the death was caused by someone else’s negligence, the shock leaves you and your family reeling as you try to pick up the pieces of your life. While no amount of money will take away that pain and grief, filing a claim for wrongful death can help with funeral expenses and help offset the loss of that family member’s income.
- Premises liability: Were you injured in a slip and fall accident on someone else’s property? You might be able to recover damages from the property owner if you can prove they were negligent in maintaining their property and that they knew about, or should have known about, the hazard that caused your injury.
- Product liability: When a defective product causes your personal injury, you may have a case against either the manufacturer, the retailer, or anyone involved in creating or selling the product, so long as you can prove you followed all instructions and did not alter the product in any way.
- Food poisoning: If you or a loved one contracts food poisoning, our lawyers can help with your case. You first need to determine what caused the issue, whether it was food from a restaurant, grocery store, or food truck. The food itself may need to be tested so that you have that evidence to help prove your case.
- Construction accidents: Construction site injury cases can be incredibly complex, but our personal injury attorneys have experience navigating these types of accidents, as well as OSHA regulations, to help determine fault in your personal injury case. There could also be third parties involved, such as contractors, subcontractors, or equipment manufacturers.
- Workers’ compensation: Getting injured on the job can be incredibly stressful, especially if it was due to your employers’ negligence. We are dedicated to ensuring that injured employees receive the full benefits they deserve. Insurance companies often try to get away with a low settlement offer, but we’ll fight for your rights. We’ll also determine if a third party may also be responsible for your injuries, and we’ll hold them accountable, as well.
- Nursing home abuse: When you entrust the care of your loved one to a nursing home, you fully expect them to be treated with caring respect and professionalism. More than that, you expect them to be safe. So, when you learn your family member has suffered abuse or neglect at the hands of a nurse, doctor, or other staff member, it’s heart-breaking. A skilled attorney can help ensure the safety of your loved one and fight for the compensation your family deserves.
- Medical malpractice: We instinctively trust that medical professionals have the education and experience to properly care for us. So when a healthcare professional harms us – when they misdiagnose our illness, make a surgical error, or make another careless mistake – they should be held accountable for the injuries and damages they cause.
In order to win a personal injury claim in any state, some type of negligence on the part of the other person has to be proven. There are generally four elements of negligence that must be proven by the plaintiff:
- Duty: The defendant owed you a duty of care (for example, drivers owe a duty of care to every other vehicle on the road).
- Breach of duty: The defendant failed in their duty, through wrongdoing, acting inappropriately, or a failure to act.
- Causation: The defendant’s actions caused the accident to occur.
- Damages: The plaintiff was injured and incurred damages as a result.
There are two basic types of negligence doctrines: comparative and contributory. In Georgia, we follow a modified comparative approach. This means you as the plaintiff must prove that you hold less than 50 percent of the blame for your personal injury, and if you do have any fault assigned to you, then your award will be reduced by that percentage.
In other words, say you are awarded $250,000, but you are assigned 20 percent of the blame—your damages would then be reduced to $200,000. Your personal injury lawyer will work tirelessly with you to try and get the maximum compensation for your claim.
In a personal injury claim, there are different forms of compensation that you, as the plaintiff, may be entitled to if you can adequately prove negligence. These may include:
- Lost wages: If you are injured, you may need to miss work to either have your injury treated or recover from it, which means you are losing pay. You can claim your lost wages as well as any potential future lost wages if the injury is long-term or permanent, and you cannot resume former job duties.
- Medical bills: This can include doctor visits, hospital bills, surgery costs, rehab facility bills, and much more. You may also claim a future estimate of medical costs if the injury is lifelong, such as a spinal cord injury.
- Personal property damage: In an auto accident, your vehicle more than likely sustained extensive damage. You can include this in your claim as well.
- Pain and suffering: It is hard to place a monetary value on the toll this accident has taken on you. Pain and suffering is also referred to as a type of non-economic damage, and in Georgia, there is no cap on how much you may receive in this category.
While you may think your personal injury claim is fairly straightforward, there are many complexities and nuances to the law. The other party in your case may use those to their advantage, leaving you totally blindsided. Having someone in your corner who knows the law cover-to-cover can help prevent that from happening.
Your lawyer will be looking out for you and only you, whereas insurance companies are only looking for ways to pay out the minimum amount possible in all situations. A personal injury attorney will fully investigate your case to gather crucial evidence to build a strong case on your behalf. They’ll also skillfully spearhead all communication with the insurance companies to ensure that you are getting fair compensation. They’ll also be fully prepared to take your case to court, if needed, to get the compensation you deserve.
At Jonathan R. Brockman, P.C., our legal team takes on many personal injury cases, and we often get asked specific questions, such as:
Even if you have the slightest bit of doubt about your case, it never hurts to at least call for a free consultation. The consultation is of no obligation to you, and the lawyer can listen to the details of your personal injury and provide legal advice about what you should do.
In Georgia, we have a two-year statute of limitations on personal injury claims, meaning you have two years from the date of the accident to file your personal injury lawsuit. Your lawyer will work quickly to assemble all the needed evidence so that your claim is filed on time.
There is no set answer to this question, as each case is different. Your attorney will work with all other parties to try and solve the issue before it goes to court, but if the case has complexities or other issues, it could take longer to reach a settlement that provides you with maximum benefits.
For the past three decades, the attorneys at Jonathan R. Brockman, P.C. have helped countless personal injury victima and have won millions in settlement and verdicts on behalf of clients. We’ll work with you each step of the way to help you through your case and this trying time in your life. If you are suffering from a personal injury and are not sure where to turn, we can help. We handle cases in Carrollton, Villa Rica and the surrounding areas. Call us today at 855 465 4407 to schedule your free consultation with one of our team members.