It doesn’t take an expert in physics to understand that accidents involving large trucks or 18-wheelers cause catastrophic damage to smaller vehicles and their occupants. Fully loaded, big rigs can weigh up to 80 tons, a monstrous amount of weight compared to a car or SUV. Every driver understands the risk of getting behind the wheel and sharing the road with these large vehicles. Still, drivers have the right to travel on Georgia roads and highways safely, and when those rights are violated by a reckless truck driver or trucking company, victims can take legal action and hold them accountable.
If you or a loved one has been involved in an accident with a big rig truck, you may be eligible for financial compensation to help cover medical bills, lost wages, and other costs and losses associated with your injuries. The Villa Rica truck accident attorneys at Jonathan R. Brockman, P.C., have 30 years of experience holding negligent truck drivers and trucking companies accountable for their actions. We understand what it takes to pursue a successful claim and will do everything in our power to get you through this stressful time in your life.
Call Jonathan R. Brockman, P.C., today at (770) 205-8827 to schedule a free consultation. We know how devastating these accidents are to every facet of your life and will use every resource at our disposal to make things right and help you avoid financial ruin.
Do I Need a Truck Accident Attorney?
There’s a reason why the personal injury attorneys of Jonathan R. Brockman, P.C. don’t lump truck accidents in with other car accidents. They are completely different collisions that typically result in more severe injuries and property damage, larger medical bills, and more money on the line for insurance companies.
They are also unique in that you may be able to take legal action against the driver and the company they work for, and other parties such as equipment manufacturers, maintenance outfits, and cargo companies. With multiple insurance companies to deal with and a high-value settlement on the line, truck accident cases require the experience and skills of an attorney who can navigate complex insurance policies and the resources to investigate every aspect of your accident to build an airtight case.
Why Hire Jonathan R. Brockman, P.C.
Jonathan R. Brockman, P.C., has been a beacon of hope for truck accident victims across the state of Georgia for 30 years. Our attorneys are a part of the Villa Rica community and show every person who walks through the door the respect and care they deserve. Not because they’re a potential client, but because they are a person who needs someone to look out for them in this challenging time. With an office in Carroll County and five others across the state, our team of legal professionals has taken on the most challenging cases and emerged with substantial compensation for our clients.
After hearing your story and determining whether we have a case, we’ll then put our full legal team to work, leaving no stone unturned to find the cause of your accident and who is responsible. Don’t spend another day worrying about how to pay for expensive medical and rehabilitation bills or put food on the table while you’re unable to work.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
Although truck accident injuries and fatalities have fallen in recent years from their 21st-century peak, they aren’t going away. According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), injury crashes involving large trucks and buses increased 62 percent from 2009 to 2015 and rose an additional 8 percent from 2016 to 2018.
The sad reality for most truck accidents is that they were completely avoidable had the driver or someone else acted responsibly and held up their end of the duty of care. Negligent drivers or trucking company owners should pay for their reckless behavior, especially when it results in life-altering injuries or death.
Some common causes of truck accidents in Georgia include the following:
- Driving under the influence – When truck drivers operate their big rigs under the influence of alcohol or drugs (prescription or illegal), the consequences can be devastating for unsuspected motorists. These substances severely impair their ability to operate their vehicles safely, causing drivers to make reckless decisions.
- Driver fatigue – Federal law restricts how long truck drivers can operate their vehicles and how often they must take a break. Unfortunately, trucking companies and individual drivers blow past these restrictions to drive more miles and make more profit. Our lawyers can access driver logs to see if the driver was breaking the law and driving longer hours than allowed.
- Reckless driving – Because of their size and weight, 18-wheelers need much more time to slow down and stop if they hope to avoid a collision. If a truck driver is speeding, tailgating, or driving erratically, it can significantly increase the chance of an accident.
- Inadequate training – Driving a commercial truck with a large, fully loaded trailer isn’t easy. It requires specialized training and a thorough understanding of the braking system, blind spots, and other details to keep everyone on the road safe. If a trucking company didn’t properly train a driver or failed to check their credentials before hiring them, it can significantly increase the chance of a crash.
- Mechanical failure – Commercial trucks and 18-wheelers have to be routinely inspected and properly repaired to ensure the brakes, wheels, fifth wheel, and other equipment are in working order. A defect in any of these systems can lead to an accident.
- Improperly loaded trailers – If trailers aren’t appropriately loaded or if they’re loaded with too much weight, they can tip or skid into other lanes and cause an accident.
We will look at every detail and collect as much evidence as possible to determine what caused your accident. From securing police reports to driver logs and vehicle black boxes, the team of Villa Rica truck accident attorneys is unrelenting when it comes to getting our clients the compensation they deserve.
Types of Cases We Handle
The legal team at Jonathan R. Brockman, P.C., has decades of combined experience in handling truck accident cases. We know the tricks insurance companies use to pay as little as possible on your claim, or in some cases, pay out nothing at all. We have the resources and capabilities to take on multiple insurance companies and even high-powered legal teams if your case should go to court.
Some of the most common types of truck accident cases we handle include the following:
- Rear-end accidents
- Jackknife accidents
- Rollover accidents
- Wide turn accidents
- Lost load accidents
- Undercarriage accidents
- Driver fatigue accidents
This is not the time to try and take on insurance companies on your own. Truck accident cases can be incredibly detailed, and proving negligence without the necessary knowledge of the legal system or access to experts and resources is near impossible. Contact us today at Jonathan R. Brockman, P.C., to discuss the next steps.
Common Truck Accident Injuries
When you are in an accident with a big rig truck, there are no such things as “fender benders.” Accidents of this caliber cause irreparable damage to your vehicle and potentially life-threatening injuries that can upend every part of your life. The sheer size and weight of an 18-wheeler with a fully loaded trailer means greater impacts. And because trucks usually travel on highways, most truck crashes are at high speeds and, in many cases, involve multiple vehicles and victims.
Get in touch with a Villa Rica truck accident lawyer as soon as possible if you were in a truck accident and suffered injuries, such as:
- Deep lacerations or contusions from shattered glass and other debris
- Fractured and broken bones
- Whiplash or other neck and back injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries resulting in cognitive skill loss or permanent brain damage
- Burns or severe smoke inhalation in the event of a vehicle fire
- Crushed extremities
- Internal bleeding and damage to internal organs
- Spinal cord injuries that result in partial or full paralysis
In some cases, injuries may not appear until days or weeks later. That’s why you must seek medical care immediately following your accident for a thorough examination. In the aftermath of an accident, your adrenaline may be flowing, or you may be concerned with the safety of other victims at the scene. When that wears off, injuries you sustained begin to reveal themselves.
By getting checked out by a medical professional, you protect yourself from long-term damage and strengthen your claim and better your chance at recovering compensation.
Contact a Truck Accident Attorney Today
Don’t spend another day waiting to hear back from insurance companies or hoping you have enough in your account to cover this month’s bills because you haven’t been able to work. You are entitled to financial compensation to pay for damages, including medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more. Our Villa Rica truck accident lawyers are standing by and ready to get started on your case. Call Jonathan R. Brockman, P.C., today at (770) 205-8827 and schedule a free consultation to discuss your options and next steps.