If you have been injured in Georgia in an accident that wasn’t your fault, you have the right to seek compensation for your injuries. Even a seemingly minor car crash or slip-and-fall accident can end up costing you thousands in medical bills and lost income. There are also the less tangible losses that come with a serious accident to consider, such as your pain and suffering and lower quality of life.
The Berkeley Lake personal injury lawyers of Jonathan R. Brockman, P.C. can help you pursue fair compensation for your injuries after an accident. No matter how you were injured, we have the knowledge and experience to help with your case. With more than 70 years of combined experience and a strong track record of positive results for our clients, we are well-equipped to assist with all aspects of your case. If you want to know more about our services, call (770) 205-8827 or visit our contact page for a free initial consultation.
Personal Injury Cases We Handle
Our Berkeley Lake personal injury attorneys are skilled at handling many different kinds of cases, including:
- Car accidents
- Semi-truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Boating accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Dog bites
- Premises liability injuries (slip-and-fall accidents, inadequate security, etc.)
- Construction site accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Nursing home neglect or abuse
- Defective products (unsafe children’s toys, dangerous drugs, toxic household products, etc.)
Keep in mind that this is not a full list of the cases we handle. If you have been injured in some type of incident you do not see here, give us a call, and we can tell you whether you have a case.
Compensation in Berkeley Lake Personal Injury Cases
There is no way to accurately estimate the value of a personal injury case until an attorney has a chance to look over the facts of your particular situation. However, you can get a rough idea of how much compensation you could receive by adding up all the things you can be compensated for through a lawsuit.
There are three categories of compensation available in a personal injury lawsuit:
- Economic damages — Your economic damages in an accident would compensate you for your direct expenses related to the accident. This could include things like your medical bills, the cost of transportation to medical appointments, your lost income while recovering from the accident, your diminished earning potential, and your damaged personal property.
- Non-economic damages — Your non-economic damages in an accident cover those losses that do not have a specific economic cost but are still related to the accident. This could include things like the pain and suffering from your injuries, any mental or emotional distress resulting from the accident, and your reduced quality of life.
- Punitive damages — Punitive damages are only recoverable if you bring your case to trial and win. Instead of being based on a specific loss you have suffered, punitive damages are additional compensation awarded in cases where a defendant attempted to defraud or oppress you, engaged in wantonness or willful misconduct, or disregarded the consequences of their actions. It is rare for a plaintiff in a personal injury case to be awarded punitive damages, but an experienced attorney can help you make your case before a judge or jury.
All told, this compensation could be substantial. It is important to go after every dollar you can in a personal injury lawsuit, as you generally only have one chance to recover any compensation after an accident. Contact us today.
Proving Liability in a Berkeley Lake Personal Injury Case
Before you can recover any compensation in a Georgia personal injury case, you will first need to prove that another party was negligent and that their negligent actions directly contributed to your injuries. In some cases, like a drunk driving accident, this can be relatively simple, but it is still important to gather as much evidence as possible. A Berkeley Lake personal injury lawyer can help you find the evidence you need for your case, such as:
- Photos from the accident scene
- Medical records
- Eyewitness accounts
- Surveillance photos or video
- Police accident reports
- Testimony from expert witnesses
- Forensic accident investigation reports
In addition to these types of evidence that can help prove another party is liable for your injuries, you will also need proof of the injuries you have suffered. This is why it is so important to hold on to your medical bills, pay stubs, and other evidence that demonstrates all the injuries you have suffered. It is also a good idea to start a journal after an accident so you can have a record of how your injuries have impacted your daily life. If you have pressing questions about your case, contact us today.
How a Berkeley Lake Personal Injury Attorney Can Help with Your Case
If you are not sure what a personal injury lawyer does, especially outside of a courtroom, here are a few ways that the team at Jonathan R. Brockman, P.C. can help with your case:
- Identifying all the liable parties — There may be more than one party who is liable for your injuries, in which case you might pursue compensation from more than one source.
- Finding the right doctors and other specialists — You may need specialized medical treatment after an accident, and we can help you find the doctors, physical therapists, mental health professionals, or other help you need.
- Gathering evidence — A personal injury attorney will know what to look for to help you build an airtight case for compensation.
- Filing your lawsuit — You have a limited window to file a personal injury lawsuit after an accident in Georgia, so it is important to make sure you meet the relevant deadlines. An attorney can handle the necessary paperwork and deadlines as you focus on healing.
- Negotiating with insurance companies — Most likely, your case will end in a settlement with the liable party’s insurance company. A personal injury lawyer can represent you in settlement negotiations to make sure you get a reasonable offer.
- Bringing your case to trial — In the event a fair settlement cannot be reached, you will need to decide if you want to bring your case to trial. If you do opt for a trial, you will want help from a lawyer to give you the best possible chance of winning.
Contact Our Berkeley Lake Personal Injury Lawyers Today
You only have two years to file a lawsuit after an accident in Georgia, so do not hesitate to speak to an attorney. Our team is ready to hear you out, so visit our contact page or call (770) 205-8827 for a free consultation.