Cartersville Personal Injury Lawyers
When you’re seriously injured in an accident someone else caused, the cost of medical visits, surgeries, procedures, long-term care, and mental health support you need can add up quickly. Many people injured in accidents are also left unable to work, even temporarily, which only worsens the helplessness they may feel.
If someone else’s careless behavior injured you, don’t feel like you have to “go it alone.” At the Cartersville, GA law firm of Jonathan R. Brockman, P.C., we help people just like you pursue the justice and financial compensation they deserve. As we investigate the accident and build your case, you can focus on recovery and returning to your previous quality of life. Call us today at (770) 205-8827 for a free initial case review with one of our personal injury attorneys.
Types of Personal Injury Cases We Handle
The four lawyers of Jonathan R. Brockman, P.C. have years of combined experience in personal injury law, and we have successfully earned six-figure and even multimillion-dollar awards and settlements for our clients in a variety of different personal injury cases. Some common types of cases we work with include:
- Motor vehicle accidents – Car, truck, motorcycle, and bus accidents can cause devastating injuries to anyone involved. If a negligent driver hit you, let us fight to secure the compensation you need.
- Premises liability accidents – Under Georgia law, property owners have a duty to address hazards that could injure residents, customers, or visitors. If their negligence leaves you injured from a slip and fall or other type of accident, you may be entitled to compensation.
- Construction accidents – The phrase “construction accidents” calls to mind construction workers getting injured on the job. While those workers can likely get workers’ compensation benefits for their injuries, other people are at risk on construction sites, as well. Independent contractors and passersby could be injured by dangerous conditions on the property or by falling objects and other accidental occurrences. If those accidents were caused by the property owner’s negligence or someone else’s carelessness, the injured person might be able to recover medical costs and a portion of their lost wages.
- Boating accidents – We love boating on beautiful Lake Allatoona and the many other lakes and rivers near Cartersville. A boating accident, however, can ruin what is supposed to be a tranquil day. If a negligent boater hurt you, we can help you seek the compensation you deserve.
- Medical malpractice – Medical professionals take an oath to “do no harm.” However, errors at the hands of a negligent doctor or nurse can cause their patient severe injuries or disabilities. If you or a loved one were injured by medical malpractice, we are ready to defend your rights.
- Defective products – If you were hurt while using a defective everyday product through no fault of your own, our team can build your case. The product’s manufacturer or retailer may be liable to compensate you if something they did or failed to do caused your injuries.
- Dog bites – Most dogs live up to their reputation as “man’s best friend,” but if an aggressive dog is not properly trained or leashed, its owner may be liable for a resulting attack or bite. If you were bitten by a dog that you did not provoke and the dog wasn’t properly restrained, our team can help pursue the compensation you need to recover.
- DUI – If you were injured in a crash caused by a drunk driver, we are ready to vigorously pursue the compensation you need for your medical and other accident-related expenses.
- Wrongful death – Losing someone you love is horrible enough, but when that loss occurs because someone else was careless or negligent, it feels even worse. Jonathan R. Brockman, P.C.’s wrongful death attorneys will do everything we can to get justice for your loved one and compensation for you for your loss.
- Food poisoning – If you think you’ve gotten food poisoning because of someone else’s negligence or careless actions, we can help. Get medical treatment and a doctor’s diagnosis, and then call us.
- Police brutality – If your civil rights were violated in an encounter with the police and you endured police brutality, call Jonathan R. Brockman, P.C.. We have experience overcoming the immunity defense in cases where police officers have stepped outside the boundaries of appropriate conduct.
Compensation in Cartersville Personal Injury Cases
The expenses you incur as you recover from your injury do not have to be a burden. Our attorneys have years of experience in assessing injuries and losses our clients bring to us. We might work with subject-matter experts, as well, to determine the ideal amount of compensation you deserve.
You may be eligible for compensation called “special damages” for various injury-related losses, such as:
- Medical expenses for treatment for physical and mental injuries related to the accident
- Lost wages
- Repair or replacement of personal property damaged or destroyed in the course of the accident
- Home renovations to accommodate new long-term accessibility needs
You might also be eligible for general damages, which provide compensation for intangible losses you’ve suffered due to the accident, such as:
- Pain and suffering, which includes physical and mental stress from the injury
- Permanent disability
- Physical impairment
- Diminished quality of life
Services Our Firm Offers
The team at Jonathan R. Brockman, P.C. includes a former insurance defense lawyer. We know the tactics of the “other side” and take a comprehensive approach to each personal injury case we build. Our attorneys and staff work together to advocate for you from start to finish and perform the following services for our clients:
- Investigating the accident to determine the facts of the case
- Identifying people or parties who may be liable for the accident
- Determining the best and fairest amount of compensation to pursue
- Gathering proper documentation for your injuries and losses
- Collaborating with experts to build convincing arguments for your side
- Working with insurance companies, including filing claims and negotiating settlements
- Going to trial (if ultimately necessary) to fight for you before a judge/jury
Deadline to File a Personal Injury Suit in Cartersville, GA
In Georgia, how much time you have to file a lawsuit depends on the kind of case you are taking to court. Section 9-3-33 of the Georgia Code is the statute of limitations. This law dictates the time period you’re allowed to file a lawsuit against the at-fault party in your case. Under this law, you have two years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury suit. If you wait to file until after the deadline has passed, it is likely that the court will dismiss your case, and you will lose your right to demand compensation for your injuries.
For personal injury suits involving medical malpractice, the deadlines are more complicated. Under Section 9-3-71, you generally have two years to file a lawsuit from the date of a malpractice-related injury. However, the court may apply a different deadline for certain forms of negligent behavior or extend (”toll”) the two-year general deadline under certain conditions. Even if your case meets the legal criteria to toll the statute of limitations, you still have five years to file your suit. It is best to consult an attorney about the proper deadlines for your specific case.
There are various steps that should be completed before filing a personal injury lawsuit, including investigations and settlement negotiations. The earlier you and your legal team can begin building the case for your compensation, the better your chances of obtaining a full and fair settlement.