Posted on Friday, December 15th, 2023 at 9:00 am
Georgia holiday accidents and injuries? Yes. With the hustle and bustle of the holiday season in full swing, there is an increased chance of experiencing a significant accident. Fires, car accidents, and slip-and-fall accidents are common around the holidays. What makes these accidents worse is that they catch many people off guard. We are so busy rushing around trying to get things done in preparation for our celebrations that basic safety can fall by the wayside.
At Jonathan R. Brockman, P.C., we understand how a holiday accident and injuries can impact the holiday season and the rest of your life. Whether you are injured at home or on holiday somewhere else, we want you to know help is available.
Types of Holiday Accidents
It is easy to get caught up in the stress of the holiday season. When that happens, accidents are bound to occur. Some of the most common accidents that occur during the holidays tend to include:
- Car accidents – Car accidents, especially accidents involving impaired drivers, are common around the holidays. More people are hitting the roads to travel, which means more opportunities for careless drivers to cause significant collisions. The holidays are also a time for celebration. For some, celebrations are synonymous with using alcohol. Increased alcohol use tends to correspond with an increase in fatal drunk driving accidents, suggests data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. The time between Christmas and New Year is a perilous period for impaired driving crashes.
- Truck accidents – Don’t want to hit crowded stores to do your Christmas shopping? That’s how many people feel over the holidays, so they turn to shipping. However, with more delivery truck drivers on the roads working overtime during the holidays, there is a chance you can become involved in a severe truck accident involving a fatigued truck driver.
- Slip-and-fall accidents – Slip-and-fall accidents are among the most common premises liability claims, especially around the holidays. Loose holiday light cords, tripping hazards, spills, store aisles with products spilling onto the floors, and ice-covered walkways are among the most common hazards that can cause a slip-and-fall accident.
- Fires – Fires are another common holiday hazard that can lead to significant injuries and medical expenses. Thanksgiving tends to be the most significant holiday for kitchen fires. The U.S. Fire Administration lists cooking fires as more common on Thanksgiving Day than any other day. House fires are also common around Christmas, especially when people fail to properly water and maintain their live or freshly cut Christmas trees.
- Food Poisoning – Food poisoning is another common holiday hazard. We all enjoy a large, home-cooked meal for the holidays. However, when a host, business, or restaurant fails to follow proper food safety protocol, everyone can become sick or even hospitalized due to foodborne illnesses.
Common Injuries from Holiday-Related Accidents
The last place you want to spend the holidays is in a hospital. Unfortunately, holiday accidents can result in significant and life-altering injuries. Car accidents can cause crippling injuries like broken bones and internal bleeding while cooking fires can cause burns and disfiguring scars. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, falls are the leading cause of traumatic brain injuries. These are just a few examples of injuries due to holiday accidents. Some of the most common injuries from holiday-related accidents include:
- Broken bones
- Soft tissue damage
- Traumatic brain injury
- Neck and spine injuries
- Organ damage
- Internal bleeding
Following a holiday accident, always seek immediate medical attention. Getting prompt treatment can improve your prognosis. Your medical records are solid evidence for your compensation claim. When possible, consult an experienced personal injury attorney and let them manage communication with the insurer for you. An attorney can offer you peace of mind and allow you to recover and rest over the holidays instead of worrying about where the money to pay your medical bills will come from.
Hurt in an Accident Over the Holidays? A Georgia Personal Injury Attorney Can Help
Have someone else’s careless actions injured you over the holidays? Do not wait to seek help. At Jonathan R. Brockman, P.C., we are ready to assist you no matter the time of year. We aim to help you recover the maximum compensation for your injuries and financial losses. Let us help you resolve your claim so you can enjoy the holiday with those you love.
Call our Georgia office today at (770) 205-8827 to arrange a free legal consultation with one of our experienced team members. Let’s talk about your case and the best way to get the compensation you deserve.