For bicyclists, the roads of Fayetteville, Georgia, can be dangerous. Unfortunately, bicycle accidents occur far too often, leaving cyclists injured and needing legal help. If you were injured in a bicycle accident someone else caused, a Fayetteville bicycle accident lawyer from Jonathan R. Brockman, P.C. can provide the legal assistance you need to protect your rights and pursue compensation for your injuries and losses.
We specialize in helping people injured in all kinds of motor vehicle accidents, including bicycle accidents, receive the compensation they need and deserve. We understand how difficult it can be to find out how to get compensation after an accident, and we could guide you through the process. If someone injured you in a Fayetteville bicycle accident, contact us today at 770-205-2231 for a free legal consultation.
Common Bicycle Accident Causes
Many factors can lead to bicycle accidents in Fayetteville. Among the most common causes of bicycle accidents are:
- Distracted Driving: Drivers distracted by their phones, music, other passengers, or other activities can lose focus and fail to notice a bicyclist in their path.
- Failing to Obey Traffic Laws: This can include running stop signs or lights, turning without signaling, and not yielding the right-of-way.
- Poor Road Conditions: Potholes, debris, and drainage can create hazardous conditions for bicyclists.
- Driving Under the Influence: Drinking or taking drugs, even prescription medication, and driving is a serious problem that is a danger to everyone on the road.
- Speeding: Higher speeds give drivers less time to react and make it more difficult to avoid a bicyclist.
- Car Doors: When drivers or passengers open their doors without looking, they can cause an unexpected collision with a cyclist.
- Weather: Rain and snow can make the roads slick and reduce visibility, and if motorists don’t moderate their behavior to accommodate the weather, bicyclists can bear the brunt of that lack of care.
Common Bicycle Accident Injuries
Bicycle accidents can be severe and often result in serious injuries because the rider has no protection from an impact with a vehicle, the pavement, or other obstacles. The following are some of the most common bicycle accident injuries:
- Head and Neck Injuries: Serious head and neck injuries, such as concussions, traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), spinal cord injuries, and whiplash, can result from a bicycle accident.
- Broken Bones: Broken bones are also a common bicycle accident injury. Broken arms, legs, wrists, or ankles are some of the more frequent injuries from a bicycle crash.
- Road Rash: Road rash is an abrasion caused by scraping against the pavement and can be very painful. It can range from mild to severe and can even require skin grafts in severe cases.
- Internal Injuries: Internal injuries such as organ damage, lacerations, and internal bleeding can occur in a bicycle accident.
- Psychological Trauma: Bicycle accidents can also result in psychological trauma, such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
The severity of these injuries depends on the force of the impact and the rider’s protective gear. It is crucial to wear a helmet whenever riding a bicycle to help reduce the risk of serious head injuries.
What to Do If You’ve Been in a Bicycle Accident
If you’ve been in a bicycle accident in Fayetteville, knowing what steps you should take after the incident is essential. While you may feel overwhelmed and uncertain of what to do, taking the proper steps can protect your legal rights and increase the chances that you can obtain appropriate compensation for your injuries. Here’s what to do if you’ve been in a bicycle accident:
- Call 911: Following a cycling accident, you should first call the police or an ambulance. Law enforcement will complete an official report that can bolster your injury claim.
- Document the Accident: Document all aspects of the bicycle accident, including taking pictures of the scene, getting witness information, and contact information for the other party involved.
- Seek Medical Attention: One of the most important things you can do after a bicycle accident is to seek medical attention immediately. Even if you don’t think your injuries are severe, you should get checked out by a doctor as soon as possible to ensure no underlying issues exist.
- Contact a Bicycle Accident Attorney: An experienced Fayetteville bicycle accident lawyer can help you understand your rights and legal options. A lawyer can guide you through filing a claim or a lawsuit, if necessary, and can work to secure the best outcome for your case.
Follow these steps to set yourself up to obtain the compensation you’re entitled to after a bicycle accident.
How a Bicycle Accident Attorney Can Help
When you’ve been in a bicycle accident, you may face expensive medical bills and potentially life-altering injuries. A knowledgeable bicycle accident attorney can help you understand your rights and the laws that apply to your case. Some of the specific ways an attorney can help include:
- Investigating the accident: Your lawyer will investigate the accident to determine what happened and who was responsible. This includes gathering evidence, interviewing witnesses, reviewing police reports, etc.
- Negotiating with insurance companies: After you’ve been hurt in an accident someone else caused, the last thing you want to do is argue with insurance adjusters. Your attorney can handle all communications with the insurance company, help prevent you from inadvertently giving the adjuster tools to deny your claim, and can try to negotiate a settlement for the full amount of compensation you’re due.
- Filing a lawsuit: In some cases, it may be necessary to file a lawsuit to receive compensation for your injuries. A bicycle accident lawyer will help you assess your options and determine if this is the best course of action.
- Representation in court: If a lawsuit is necessary, your attorney will represent you in court to fight for the compensation you deserve.
Contact Jonathan R. Brockman, P.C.
At Jonathan R. Brockman, P.C., our personal injury attorneys understand how traumatic bicycle accidents can be. That’s why we work hard to obtain the justice our clients deserve. Our attorneys have extensive experience in bicycle accident cases and are ready to put their knowledge and resources to work for you.
If you were injured in a bicycle accident that wasn’t your fault, the team at Jonathan R. Brockman, P.C. could help. Our skilled attorneys have over 70 years of combined experience representing clients in Fayetteville and the surrounding areas. We will work tirelessly on your behalf. Call us today at 770-205-2231 for a free consultation.